Fresh, sweet, slightly warm donuts; is there anyone that doesn’t love them? I could not imagine it. I do know that my children really love donuts. From powdered sugar donut holes to icing covered, filling stuffed donuts, they love them all. Of course these special treats are best enjoyed fresh, but what if after everyone has fulfilled their sugar needs leftover donuts still remain?
Can You Freeze Iced Donuts?
Freezing those leftover donuts is a great way to preserve their sugary goodness. Donuts covered in glaze or topped with pretty icing is my family’s favorite type of donut. Freezing these takes one extra simple step and is totally worth the effort.
How To Freeze Iced Donuts
Taking the time to freeze a beautifully iced donut only to that it and find a smooshed mess upon thawing, is no fun at all. Simply follow these steps to be able to enjoy those pretty pastries whenever the cravings hit.
- Lay the donuts onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet
- Place the cookie sheet into the freezer for one to two hours. This will firm/freeze the icing so it can retain its shape/structure.
- Remove the cookie sheet and donuts and wrap each donut in plastic wrap. Try to completely cover the surface of the donut to keep air form touching. This will prevent freezer burn.
- Now wrap each donut with aluminum foil.
- Place the individually wrapped donuts in a freezer safe container or plastic bag, label and put back into the freezer.
Donuts frozen using this method will be good for 3-4 months so remember to label and date your freezer container.
How To Thaw Iced Donuts
To thaw the frozen donuts, simply remove from the freezer and place on the counter and allow thawing at room temperature. Using the above method will allow you to that one donut at a time if desired. Once the donut(s) is thawed and soft, pop it into the microwave for about 10 seconds. That’s it! You can enjoy a warm sugary donut treat without leaving your home!